Eppleton Colliery
EPPLETON COLLIERY
1833-1986
When it closed in 1986 Eppleton Colliery was one of the oldest coal mines left in Europe. Work on a shaft at the site at Hetton Downs, in Hetton-le-Hole, was started in 1825. The mine was owned by the Hetton Coal Company, which also owned Elemore Colliery in Easington Lane. It took 8 years to finally finish this first shaft, called The Caroline pit. It took so long because soon after digging down, the miners
Is this Essay helpful? Join now to read this particular paper
and access over 480,000 just like this GET BETTER GRADES
and access over 480,000 just like this GET BETTER GRADES
became heated by gas and electricity. The number of jobs at Eppleton reduced, so by the time Eppleton closed in 1986 only 500 miners were working there.
In the 1990s all the colliery buildings were demolished and the waste heaps were reclaimed to form part of the Hetton Lyons Country Park. The only sign left of the colliery is the old winding gear from the Jane shaft which has been erected as a memorial in the park.
Need a custom written paper? Let our professional writers save your time.